Tips to Dress the Family for Your Next Photo Shoot
Family pictures are meant to capture the love and memories you have with your family. What better way to do that than by dressing them all in their best outfits? We've put together a few tips for how mom can dress, and what everyone else should wear so that you too can look effortlessly chic when it's time for your family photos!
Mom -start with your outfit first, try these tips when picking something for yourself:
- Wear a dress. For an effortless and chic look choose a dress that has a flattering fit.
- Dresses with a fitted waist are great for flattering your figure. They not only make you look thinner but also give your waist a shape.
You'll be able to find a dress that you feel fabulous and confident in with our wide selection of fitted dresses.
- Choose the color you want to wear and build from there. Once you choose your outfit build the color scheme off of your outfit for the rest of the family.
- Choose something comfortable, and easy to move in. This can be anything from jeans to skirts to dresses - just make sure they fit comfortably while being flattering!
- Accessorize! Add belts, hats, scarves, jewelry, or other items that make sense for the season.
- Switch accessories during your family photo shoot to get a few different looks.
Choose your color scheme.
- You can find outfit ideas on Pinterest of family pictures with outfits to help you with choosing the colors and look you like
- We recommend choosing 2-3 colors for the color palette and then having variations based on these color options.
- It's important to consider not only which outfits will work best in different situations but also how they will look on you--considering things like color palette preferences (warm or cool), fabric choice (light vs heavyweight), etc.--and do some preplanning before heading out so everything goes smoothly once there!
- Coordinate but don't match, use colors that complement each other. The main reason for this is that wearing the same color is going to blend into each other. You want to create balance in your family pictures.
Think muted colors.
Avoid overpowering colors when they distract from the picture. Look for a mixed version of the same color. If one wants a hot pink shirt, try a soft dusty rose instead.
Choose the location for family photos
- Consider the location and what style of clothing make sense.
- Take into account the location and what style of clothing would make sense.
- Consider where you are going to be, weather conditions, and your desired level of formality when selecting clothes for your family photos. You may want something that is classic and formal or boho-chic and effortless.
- Consider the mood you want before shopping.
- Work with your photographer to pick a location for the shoot.
What to Avoid.
- Avoid busy patterns such as busy stripes and tight plaid, shirts with logos. Large patterns tend to overwhelm the subject. But at the same time, you don’t want a tiny pattern if the colors contrast (a light and a dark color together).
- Avoid oversized items that don't fit well, they will not photograph well.
- Scrunchies and hair-ties on wrists
- Watches that are too modern (they just really stand out and date your photos)
- Phones or keys in pockets (or anything, really. Empty those pockets!)
It can be difficult to know what outfits your family should wear for their photo shoot. You want to make sure that you’re choosing colors and styles that work well together so the photos turn out great. We've done some research into how other people have styled themselves in family photoshoots to help give you some tips on what might work best for you! Be sure to shop Scout and Poppy dress collection we are sure you'll be able to find a dress that you feel fabulous and confident in with our wide selection of dresses.